We started Bloom Institute of Technology because we believe that the “traditional” model of higher education is broken. Every year, people as young as 17 years old take on tens of thousands of dollars in student debt and pray that the education they’re investing in will land them on a job on the other side.
Unfortunately, traditional colleges and universities have no incentive to ensure their graduates get hired – they get paid regardless.
At BloomTech, we believe there is a better way to approach education.
Instead of asking our students to bet on us, we bet on them first. This paradigm-shifting model allows us to align the incentives of the school with the incentives of our students – and we all win when our graduates succeed.
We’re in this together.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. BloomTech welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The mission of the Labs program at Bloom Institute of Technology is to prepare learners for a successful technology career by giving them experience planning, designing, implementing, and delivering software products in a highly collaborative work environment. In BloomTech Labs, learners develop real products for real nonprofits and cause organizations.
The Product Manager role is critical to the experience of learners in Labs. As a Product Manager for BloomTech Labs, you’ll work with the Labs team to source, scope, and manage learner-facing products. You’ll coordinate cross-functional staff efforts to ensure our learners get a high-quality, realistic experience that prepares them for the industry.
You’ll train learners on how to plan and execute project work by facilitating workshops, recording educational videos, and leading learner-facing stakeholder meetings. You’ll also facilitate communications between learners and product stakeholders in general, working closely with other staff to solicit and filter ongoing questions and feedback. You’ll support the development and iteration of internal products to support our operations. And you’ll provide ongoing support to our learners and the team to achieve our mission.
Our program and our staff are fully remote. The school operates on Pacific Time and this role covers our full-time (daytime) learners.
What You'll Do:
- Support and advise the Labs team in sourcing external stakeholders (such as non-profits, mission-driven companies, or other social impact organizations) and projects well-suited for our learners.
- Work cross functionally with engineering managers to scope products that meet educational needs and technical requirements for our learners.
- Create detailed product roadmaps from high level requirements, break them down into user stories, and work with the team on estimation and how best to represent project tasks to learners.
- Work with the Labs team to maintain product contribution guidelines and documentation.
- Train learners on how to plan and execute project work, work with product, and manage client relations.
- Provide ongoing support to learners (e.g., via office hours, through recordings, and by appointment)
- Work with the Labs team to facilitate the onboarding process for learners.
- Lead learner-facing stakeholder meetings to communicate progress and solicit questions and feedback from client organizations.
- Meet regularly with external stakeholders to understand if learners are meeting their technical needs in order to inform our curriculum.
- Communicate and collaborate with Labs staff to ensure learners’ needs are being met.
- Work with staff to develop and iterate internal products to support our operations.
- Propose and develop innovative solutions to further enhance our learner experience.
What You'll Need:
- 3+ years product management experience
- 2+ years experience communicating and scoping technical solutions with external clients
- 2+ years experience with project management tools (Trello, Asana, Jira, etc.)
- Deep familiarity with the agile software development lifecycle (Agile, Scrum, etc.)
- Strong analytical, design, project management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and comfort with public speaking
- An understanding of web development and/or data science
- Technical skills and experience building software products a plus
BloomTech is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
BloomTech is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.