Work with Nobel Laureate Josh Angrist and Clark Medalist Parag Pathak on cutting edge market and mechanism design, enrollment data analysis, and assignment lottery simulations.
We are on a mission to advance equity in education and need your help! We believe right school for each student will change their lives. Join us! Learn more at https://avela.education.
As Avela's Market Design Specialist, you’ll work closely with Clark Medalist Parag Pathak and Nobel Laureate Josh Angrist to design and implement market mechanisms to allocate scarce resources and optimize markets.
Most of our work is in education, particularly K12 public school enrollment, teacher hiring/assignments, and graduate placements, though we also do work in government and nonprofit sectors, such as volunteer placements.
You'll be responsible for:
-- Market/Algorithm Design (30%),
-- Data Analysis (25%),
-- Client Advising and Consulting (20%).
-- Product Management (15%),
-- Everything else (10%).
We're open to both Full Time and Part Time, employee and contractor. We're particularly interested in current PhD students (econ, math, CS, or OR) who can commit at least 10 hours per week.
- Data Analysis - You’ll extract insights from a wide range of data in support of both our client engagements and product development. This could include reviewing past application and enrollment data to identify opportunities for improvement, or forecasting future enrollment.
- Market Design - You’ll work closely with Josh Angrist (Nobel Prize) and Parag Pathak (Clark Medal) to design markets for organizations, governments, and education institutions, such as enrollment lotteries or volunteer matching.
- Algorithm Design - Then, you'll design the actual allocation mechanisms and market design algorithms to assign individuals. You'll often script these in Python, Stata, or other scripting language to test them out or run quick simulations.
- Product Management - As our data and market design expert, you'll partner with our product team to implement these approaches directly in our product.
- Deep expertise in economic market design, student enrollment lotteries, operations research, or graph theory.
- Ability to write scripts and code algorithm in a language such as R, STATA, or Python.
- Fluency in assignment algorithms including Deferred Acceptance (Gale-Shapley), Cumulative Offer Mechanism (COM), Munkres (the Hungarian Algorithm), Top Trading Cycles, Serial Dictator, etc.
- Degree in Economics, Statistics, Math, or Computer Science (MA or PhD preferred)
- Customer-centric mindset and passion for education, equity, or social impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, extraordinary comfort with ambiguity, enjoyment wearing many hats
Avela is an education technology startup focused on equity in education admissions and enrollment. We give enrollment, admission, and award officers the tools to make equitable decisions about the allocation of educational opportunities.
We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including Oakland Enrolls, Tulsa Public Schools, Jersey City Board of Education, and New Orleans Public Schools. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the admission journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission. Our flagship product, Avela Match, is used for running coordinated matching markets to assign individuals to programs, such as public school placements in choice districts. We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists - get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We are a flexible, fully remote company. We just ask that everyone work continental US hours to facilitate collaboration. #LI-Remote
Significant equity, passionate team, flexible work policies, home office stipend or WeWork membership, unlimited vacation, 401(k) program, life insurance, and platinum health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) covered at 100%. Learn more at avela.org/careers.